Quantcast
GunAuction.com - Enfield Model 1917 Eddystone ammo question

Home | Register | Become a Seller | Sell a Gun | Help & Info
Search | Forum | Find a FFL | My Auctions | My Bids | Contact Us | Log In

(Forum Home)--->(GunTalk)--->(Enfield Model 1917 Eddystone ammo question)
Thread Admin: brainaxe (17-0-0) (Last 10 Posts) Posted: 07/01/2010 at 07:48:40
Total Posts: 39
Thread Title: "Enfield Model 1917 Eddystone ammo question"
brainaxe
Picked up an Enfield US Model 1917 Eddystone / Sporterized 30-06 caliber.

Assuming the gun is in good working order, is standard off-the-shelf .30-06 Springfield ammo what I should be shooting in it?
Should I avoid higher power premium ammo?  Any concerns using new Factory ammo in this old shooter??
(Start a Thread) (Forum Rules)

Former Seller: speedenforcer(6-0-0) Post#10 - Posted: 07/01/2010 at 18:37:10
(no avatar)

Get some gunagra it will work.

Seller: gov2mod(2461-0-0) Post#11 - Posted: 07/01/2010 at 19:24:18
gov2mod

Brain, does it eject the empty fired case?

Seller: -CaptJim(34-0-3) Post#12 - Posted: 07/01/2010 at 21:30:13
-CaptJim

I had one in 30-06. It would eject the empties just fine but would not throw the loaded rounds. It was great. The rounds I didn't shoot, I just picked off the bolt and put back in the box for later. If it ejects the empties, what are you upset about. you aren't having to root around on the ground to retrieve your ammo then clean the dirt off before you put it up.-Capt"Jim"Smile

Former Seller: CIMARRON(53-0-0) Post#13 - Posted: 07/02/2010 at 03:51:40
(no avatar)

One common problem with the P14 and mod 1917 is the ejector spring. If I were you I would check it out. It is part of the ejector . If everything is correct on this rifle, you shouldn't have to do anything special on opening it to get it to throw the spent case clear of the action. If its broke off, don't throw the ejector  away. It can be used to convert it to a coil type spring. And it aint gonna break.

Thread Admin: brainaxe(18-0-0) Post#14 - Posted: 07/02/2010 at 13:50:40
brainaxe

CaptJim/gov2 I have not had a chance to fire it yet. So maybe what you describe is right. I hope so.

Cimarron- I'm not sure how to check. Is the ejector that 'blade' shaped pin that is on the left of the receiver? Part of the bolt release lever? (on left) Or is in on the bolt face?  

Thread Admin: brainaxe(18-0-0) Post#15 - Posted: 07/02/2010 at 14:10:14
brainaxe

OK- I think I figured it out. Well, I figure Cim is right about no spring. The blade ejector floats freely in it's space. If I hold the gun on its right side the weight of the ejector keeps it were it should be. And WILL eject the unfired round as I open the bolt.

Ahhhh, so how do I git a spring back in dare?? (gunagra didn't put spring back in its sproing!)

Seller: tomon(68-0-0) Post#16 - Posted: 07/02/2010 at 15:29:48
tomon

Brain.... You may want to slug the barrel.  I am in possession of a 1917 with a tight target neck, and a bore diameter of .312!!!  At sometime during the war they were just throwing the guns together and barreled some with .303 barrels, chambered in 30-06.  30-06 will chamber and fire OK, but if it doesn't group well, see above.

Former Seller: CIMARRON(53-0-0) Post#17 - Posted: 07/02/2010 at 17:46:07
(no avatar)

Brain-- The ejector spring is intragal with the ejector. Very thin and often broken. One small rust pit in it and it will break. It is common to grind two very thin shallow slots in the left side and install a small coil spring to give it pressure to the right. I have done this on a bunch of them and they never have any trouble with it after that. A short piece of the little spring out of a ball point retractable  pen works good. I have new mod 1917 and p14 ejectors with the origional leaf type spring . Funny thing, I was talking with a big game hunter that had hunted in Africa and had a mod 1917 barreled to 458Win mag and his guide made him change over to a coil spring powered ejector and cock on closing before hunting dangerous game. I have had mod 1917s that I thought were made up with 303 barrels but couldn't prove it because of the 5 groove barrels. The most accurate 30-06 I ever fired with open sights was a 1917 with a 2 groove Johnson barrel. They have a standard chamber but are cut with a short throat. Most 1917s have short throats when new. You can tell if you have a round of LC MATCH loaded ammo. Either remove the stricker from the bolt or test this at the range. You don't want no AD at your kitchen table. Load the round in the magazine, then chamber it. You can feel some slight resistance at the very last of your bolt handle travel near the bottom. Open your bolt and inspect the bullet in your LC MATCH, It should have marks from the rifling on the bullet. A good 1917 and I say good, will out shoot about any 30-06 of its time. You figure you have a 26 inch barrel and a reciever sight at the rear. Gives you about a 30 inch sight radius. Butt ugly, heavy and dumb looking but a great rifle.  

Thread Admin: brainaxe(18-0-0) Post#18 - Posted: 07/05/2010 at 13:34:51
brainaxe
Cimarron- Thanks Tons!! I fixed it!! First used a ball point pen spring as you suggested. It worked great! But I had to make it better. Went to hardware store and found a few slightly wider springs and experimented with some.
Works like a champ! - Throws that live round all over the basement floor! Laughing

The broken original (leaf) spring was still in there loose when I took it apart. You weren't kidding about it being thin! Thinner than Capellini.

The 30-06 round does slip right in with almost no resistance. I don't see any rifle marks on the bullet. (it's not an LC Match though. Just a standard 180gr. jacketed soft point)
Seems to be a two groove barrel (?). It has a "JA" with flaming bomb on top near the muzzle, just behind the front sight. Also an "L" about 4" inches before the front sight.  And a "C" on the bolt handle and a bunch of "E's" in several spots which I guess mean Eddystone.

Tomon- I think I'll have to shoot it to see if groups. But slugging would be the next step, thanks!

The gun can be seen at this auc number- 9757266 . It's got a nice new stock (nothing like the original, I know). Metal has been re-done , but it looks good to me, and operates smoothly. Thanks for all the responses.

Former Seller: Little Storping(46-0-0) Post#19 - Posted: 07/05/2010 at 14:15:21
(no avatar)

Well done Brain.  Nice looking sporter while keeping the barrel intact, and nice price - I'm jealous.

(Beginning)   (Go Back 10 Posts)   (Next 10 Posts)   (Ending)

Home | Register | Become a Seller | Sell a Gun | Help & Info
Search | Forum | Find a FFL | My Auctions | My Bids | Contact Us | Log In

GunAuction.com is best seen using Google Chrome or Microsoft IE9 with javascript enabled, and Adobe Flash installed.
Copyright 1997- 2014 AuctionArms.com, Inc., Orem UT -- All Rights Reserved.