Quantcast
GunAuction.com - John Hopkins & Allen Falling Block Shotgun

Home | Register | Become a Seller | Sell a Gun | Help & Info
Search | Forum | Find a FFL | My Auctions | My Bids | Contact Us | Log In

(Forum Home)--->(GunTalk)--->(John Hopkins & Allen Falling Block Shotgun)
Thread Admin: bhornbeck (122-0-0) (Last 10 Posts) Posted: 03/12/2008 at 19:15:39
Total Posts: 17
Thread Title: "John Hopkins & Allen Falling Block Shotgun"
(no avatar) Guys I NEED your help I had a person ask me today to place a value range on a John Hopkins & Allen 12 Ga. shotgun that he told me was a falling block. I went to look at the gun and it is a 12 ga. falling block. I can find no reference material on this gun in a shotgun. The barrel markings are John Hopkins & Allen - Pat. June 28-85 and Oct 2-88. The serial number is 24X. It has a 28 1/2" barrel that appears to have not been cut. Steel front bead, Shotgun butt with steel butt plate but also pistol grip with checkering on the pistol grip and the fore piece. Now the strange part is it contains a saddle ring on the right side of the receiver. Everything appears to be factory original but I would say that the checkering could be non factory and done later. The bore is mint so it has not been fired much and contains no rust. The barrel blue is 90%+. The person is in his early 70's and told me that the gun belonged to his grandfather who worked for a railroad company out in the west in the late 1800’s. He said that the railroad company gave his grandfather the gun to shoot coyotes when he was working on the train. I can find no other markings on the gun other than what is on the barrel. What are your thoughts?
(Start a Thread) (Forum Rules)

Buyer: b.goforth(7-0-0) Post#11 - Posted: 03/31/2009 at 10:22:43
(no avatar) there is one small book about these early falling block rifles and shotguns, it is "falling blocks & other single shots from hopkins and allen" by charles carder. it only problem is it is limited in the information. these single shots by H&A deserve more research. bill

Buyer: greg4(300-0-0) Post#12 - Posted: 04/01/2009 at 18:39:50
(no avatar) I collect these old shotguns. They are always going up in value. $300-$800 is the range on most decent ones. There is a good sized book on the history of H&A firearms from 1867-1917 by Joseph T. Vorisek. You can get it thru Cornell Publishing or Abbybooks. She sells on this site and others. It has all kinds of info for the Hopkins collector. Greg

Buyer: Pathfinder2(0-0-0) Post#13 - Posted: 04/14/2009 at 06:40:41
(no avatar) These were not just take down guns, they were made for interchangable barrels. I have a 16 gauge with an octagon .38-40 (marked Merwin & Hulbert) barrel. This one has the thumb piece on the take down screw. Each barrel has a forearm attached by a single screw. I have seen a large frame one with a .38-55 barrel, no shotgun barrel with it.

Former Seller: whippet1(19-0-0) Post#14 - Posted: 08/05/2009 at 21:54:02
(no avatar) I,too, am an owner of a Hopkins&Allen with interchangeable barrels. Mine is H&A all the way. It has an octagon barrel with forearm attached that says .22R.F. and a two digit number and a 16 ga. shotgun barrel. The shotgun barrel has the same writing (HOPKINS&ALLEN ARMS CO.NORWICH CONN.U.S.A.)The receiver is only marked with the same two digit number where the barrels attach that the barrels have. The 22RF barrel has two adjustable front sights covered with a hood. The receiver has a flip up tang site. It has a checkered butt plate with an ornate symbal "MFG H CO". I really would appreciate any information such as manufacture date and value.

Buyer: TBBD(4-0-0) Post#15 - Posted: 08/06/2009 at 05:36:16
(no avatar) Flayderman lumps all falling block rifle sizes together, value $450 very good condition, $950 excellent condition, but 10% to 30% less for rimfire sizes, and 25% or more added for interchangeable shotgun barrel if numbered to rifle.

Buyer: jake10017(1-0-0) Post#16 - Posted: 08/16/2009 at 20:19:16
(no avatar) Thanks guys for the info. By the way, mine has a takedown-ring on the right side of the receiver. Some confuse these for saddle ring guns, which they are not. But it does give that appearance and looks quite sexy. I've seen pics of this falling block with a take down screw on the bottom, and some comments that the ones with the side ring are scarcer. You see so few that I have no idea if this is true or not. I will try to find some of the written material you guys suggest, and my Thanks to you all. Best regards.

Seller: oldmanjeffers(209-0-0) Post#17 - Posted: 05/29/2011 at 18:53:50
oldmanjeffers

BTT

(Beginning)   (Go Back 10 Posts)  

GunAuction.com Forum

Before posting, make sure you understand the Forum Rules. Those violating our Forum Rules will be removed. The Thread Admin is in charge of policing this thread and making sure posts conform to our policies.

In order to post in the GunAuction.com Forums, you must be a registered user of GunAuction.com. You can become as registered user by visiting our Registration Page.

In order to start a thread, you must either be a Seller or a Paid Bidder OR have at least three Positive feedbacks. We find that having some skin in the game keeps the abuse potential down. If you've got some 'skin in the game' and you would like to start your own thread, you may do so by visiting our Start A Thread form.

You may use HTML to spruce up your post, if you are so inclined. Do not post an advertisement for your services OR a website OR an auction. Violators will be shot! just kidding.... Seriously, this is a discussion forum - not a SPAM fest. Keep it clean.

Please login to post in this thread...

Home | Register | Become a Seller | Sell a Gun | Help & Info
Search | Forum | Find a FFL | My Auctions | My Bids | Contact Us | Log In

GunAuction.com is best seen using Google Chrome or Microsoft IE9 with javascript enabled, and Adobe Flash installed.
Copyright 1997- 2014 AuctionArms.com, Inc., Orem UT -- All Rights Reserved.