Quantcast
GunAuction.com - Can a non-FFL individual ship a gun?

Home | Register | Become a Seller | Sell a Gun | Help & Info
Search | Forum | Find a FFL | My Auctions | My Bids | Contact Us | Log In

(Forum Home)--->(Help!?!)--->(Can a non-FFL individual ship a gun?)
Thread Admin: g luver (9-0-0) (Last 10 Posts) Posted: 08/07/2005 at 13:34:15
Total Posts: 24
Thread Title: "Can a non-FFL individual ship a gun?"
(no avatar) If a person advetises a gun on the auction without an FFL can he ship this gun to a FFL dealer for transfer to whom ever buys it.Thanks g luver
(Start a Thread) (Forum Rules)

Seller: gov2mod(1184-0-0) Post#1 - Posted: 08/07/2005 at 13:53:18
gov2mod Yes, without an FFL you can ship a firearm AFTER you receive the FFL to where it is going and only ship it to the address on the FFL. You can ship long arms thru the post office however, you can not ship a handgun thru US Postal. Handguns must be shipped thru other carries such as UPS. You can ship a handgun thru the post office but you must have someone with a current FFL to ship it for you.

Thread Admin: g luver(9-0-0) Post#2 - Posted: 08/07/2005 at 15:49:58
(no avatar) Hi gov2mod,Thanks for the info this cleared up my purchasing of a gun,i had never had this come up before.Thanks again (g luver) Max W.

Buyer: josiewales(26-0-0) Post#3 - Posted: 08/07/2005 at 17:36:01
josiewales gov2mod,was wondering if your going hunting out of state like many states away can you ship your rifle to the address where you will be staying and ship it to yourself at that address and then when you leave ship it back to your home address with out going thur an FFL.Your not shipping to anyone else but yourself?Been wondering about that part and thanks for any information that you have.

Seller: gov2mod(1184-0-0) Post#4 - Posted: 08/08/2005 at 04:40:13
gov2mod Josiewales, I have not done so but I'm aware that this is legal. The last time I hunted in another state I drove to it with my rifles.

Buyer: josiewales(26-0-0) Post#5 - Posted: 08/08/2005 at 06:39:58
josiewales Thank you gov2mod for the response,been wondering about it and never really asked anyone this question has been rolling around in my head for awhile.Appreciate it.

Former Seller: mikker(6-1-1) Post#6 - Posted: 09/17/2005 at 20:20:20
(no avatar) " "Can a non-FFL individual ship a gun?" a prohibited person can not -legally- ship a firearm.

Former Seller: c3shooter(21-0-0) Post#7 - Posted: 09/18/2005 at 05:38:34
c3shooter Mikker- who brought up prohibited persons? Question was if a non FFL holder can ship a firearm- answer is yes- but only to FFL holder. The ATF regs require the party RECIEVING the firearm to be a license holder- not the shipper.

Former Seller: shansei96(8-0-0) Post#8 - Posted: 09/18/2005 at 10:20:48
(no avatar) Shipping is a pretty wide category. Specifically, can a private citizen, non-licensed by ATF with either FFL or C&R, "ship" a handgun via the USPS without any paperwork required other than having in hand a copy of the recipient's license (FFL or C&R) to ship to? To me, and I'm sure a lot of others, shipping can mean either USPS OR one of the several parcel services like FedEx and UPS. shansei96

Former Seller: c3shooter(21-0-0) Post#9 - Posted: 09/18/2005 at 15:51:13
c3shooter Shansei- Disclaimer up front- not a lawyer- but- from the regulations of the postal service, and the BATF. IF you are Joe Sixpack, hold no licenses of any kind, and are not in one of the special exceptions listed in the postal regs (Watchman of the US Govt etc) you MAY NOT MAIL a handgun- to anyone. You may MAIL a long gun to a FFL holder- That is MAIL using the United States Postal Service. You may SHIP (Fed X UPS DHL Carrier Pigeon Dog Sled) long guns OR handguns to a FFL holder. FFL holder to FFL holder, you can use the mail or any common carrier. There IS a form to fill out for the Post Office (Notice of Prohibited Mailing) that is about 4 lines to complete and pretty painless. And a lot of postal employees do not know their own regs, and will tell you that firearms can never ever be mailed.

Former Seller: axolotl(31-0-0) Post#10 - Posted: 09/18/2005 at 16:56:00
axolotl Basicaly a person can ship a gun to anyone as long as it is not for sale or the the ownership is not transfered. A person can ship a firearm for repair, refinishing, warranty work, gunsmithing, etc. If the firearm is for sale it must be shipped TO a FFL. If a firearm is transferred ownership {gift, inheritence,ect] it must also be shipped to a FFL.If you are going to alaska to hunt and you do not want the hassle of trying to carry your guns through canada, you can ship them to yourself, in care of your outfitter and then ship them back to yourself at home when done. If you are going to hunt in canada the absolute simplest way to get your firearms there is to ship them to your guide or outfitter and he will then take care of your paperwork on both your firearms and ammo. Remember all of your cartridges must be accounted for in canada. As always the individual carriers will have their own regulations on what they will accept[such as the postal service will not accept handguns unless from a FFL} axolotl

(Next 10 Posts)   (Ending)

Home | Register | Become a Seller | Sell a Gun | Help & Info
Search | Forum | Find a FFL | My Auctions | My Bids | Contact Us | Log In

GunAuction.com is best seen using Google Chrome or Microsoft IE9 with javascript enabled, and Adobe Flash installed.
Copyright 1997- 2014 AuctionArms.com, Inc., Orem UT -- All Rights Reserved.