Quantcast
GunAuction.com - Drowned Deer

Home | Register | Become a Seller | Sell a Gun | Help & Info
Search | Forum | Find a FFL | My Auctions | My Bids | Contact Us | Log In

(Forum Home)--->(Hunting Stories)--->(Drowned Deer)
Thread Admin: Gunwizard (7-0-0) (Last 10 Posts) Posted: 11/09/2004 at 23:15:27
Total Posts: 7
Thread Title: "Drowned Deer"
(no avatar) I was in a tree stand along the Platte river in eastern Nebraska. There was a large sandbar/island twenty yards from my post, with a channel of the river flowing between us. Two of my friends were walking the tree covered island as silently as possible. Suddenly two deer ran from the island. I brought up my 600 Remington in .308 scoped forward of the action with a Burris Scout scope and followed the first deer. I saw no antlers and brought the sights back to the following deer. I saw antlers and fired. He was running full out. No effect. I worked the action and fired a second time. No effect. I worked the short action one more time, shortened my lead, and fired. I was pleased to see the whitetail buck fall. He fell near the water's edge of the sandbar. I climbed down from my tree stand. My friend, who was walking the island, came upon my buck and exclaimed, "Hey, this is a good buck. He's still struggling. Want me to finish him off?" I replied "no" and put on my chest waders. I hurried across the river's channel to the buck I'd shot. He was down but struggling. I'd like you to know I didn't have (nor still don't have) a mounted deer head upon my wall. This was a darn fine buck. I was reluctant to put my .45acp Colt 1911 sidearm to the buck's ear and finish its struggle. Would have ruined the mount. I stepped back and fired once into the buck's chest with my Commander. A poor shot. I fired again, with better aim. Two 230 grain HydraShok hollowpoints into this fellow's boilerworks. We waited ten minutes, then twenty. He still thrashed about. I was about to lay claim to my first mounted whitetail trophy. I didn't want to destroy the mount. He continued to struggle, our time was running long. My friends finally said "Let's get going". I didn't wish to shoot my trophy again, and the river's stream was nearby. I dragged the buck ten yards to the water's edge and thrust his muzzle into the Platte river stream. I used the most humane method I could find to dispatch this animal. His antlers hang upon my work place wall. The following year, my friends asked me if I'd take to the hunting woods with a five gallon bucket. Some asked if I'd leave my rifle behind and use a squirt gun to dispatch my deer! That deer's antlers hang in my office with the brass engraved tag "Dave's Drowned Deer!"
(Start a Thread) (Forum Rules)

Former Seller: doxotica(232-3-1) Post#1 - Posted: 09/19/2005 at 13:30:12
(no avatar) 20 MINUTES OF THRASHING AND SUFFERING AND YOU THINK DROWNING WAS THE MOST HUMANE WAY? a GOOD TAXIDERMIST COULD FIX ANY DAMAGE YOU MAY HAVE DONE.

Former Seller: OLD RATTLER(68-0-0) Post#2 - Posted: 09/19/2005 at 17:05:37
(no avatar) I don't know about the laws of your state , but in Alabama it is against the law to take a deer from the waters of the state . Dead or Alive .

Buyer: bforeman0_0(4-0-0) Post#3 - Posted: 09/20/2005 at 05:09:52
(no avatar) I don't understand why people write in about this kind of crap. The poor old American hunter is always taking a bum rap the way it is. When I read a story like this, it makes me wish the Deer could shoot back.

Former Seller: axolotl(31-0-0) Post#4 - Posted: 09/20/2005 at 08:52:39
axolotl Agreed, i always have had the attitude that we owe our game a quick humane death. One of the reasons that i attempt to get people to use the most gun that they shoot well. Every thing has to die, nothing should suffer. axolotl

Former Seller: truncatedcone(3-0-0) Post#5 - Posted: 09/20/2005 at 10:17:09
truncatedcone A "trophy" at what cost? Like Doxotica said, a good taxidermist could have repaired the damage from a head shot. If you had much knowledge of deer anatomy (I think everyone who decides to take up hunting should know where ALL the vitals are) you would have known that you could have shot it in the spine somewhere between the skull and shoulder and dispatched it just as quickly as with a head shot. Sounds like a case of ignorance to me. I would not be too proud of my lack of knowledge; stories like this don't help the sport of hunting.

Former Seller: Kan Do Arms(62-0-0) Post#6 - Posted: 09/20/2005 at 18:11:20
(no avatar) REALY NOTHING TO BE PROUD OF. WHY DIDN'T YOU HANG THE MOUNT ON YOUR HINNY? THE OFFICE. NOR THE WORK SHOP IS A WORTHY PLACE FOR THIS SORT OF UNSPORTSMANSHIP DROWNING. KELLY

Former Seller: doxotica(232-3-1) Post#7 - Posted: 09/23/2005 at 12:30:08
(no avatar) What really amazes me is the original post was last November and until I read it and stated my thoughts, which brought it back to the top of the list, nothing had ever been said! I hadn't spent alot of time reading all these forums until recently, but I will be now. Glad to see that I'm not the only one who feels as I do.

GunAuction.com Forum

Before posting, make sure you understand the Forum Rules. Those violating our Forum Rules will be removed. The Thread Admin is in charge of policing this thread and making sure posts conform to our policies.

In order to post in the GunAuction.com Forums, you must be a registered user of GunAuction.com. You can become as registered user by visiting our Registration Page.

In order to start a thread, you must either be a Seller or a Paid Bidder OR have at least three Positive feedbacks. We find that having some skin in the game keeps the abuse potential down. If you've got some 'skin in the game' and you would like to start your own thread, you may do so by visiting our Start A Thread form.

You may use HTML to spruce up your post, if you are so inclined. Do not post an advertisement for your services OR a website OR an auction. Violators will be shot! just kidding.... Seriously, this is a discussion forum - not a SPAM fest. Keep it clean.

Please login to post in this thread...

Home | Register | Become a Seller | Sell a Gun | Help & Info
Search | Forum | Find a FFL | My Auctions | My Bids | Contact Us | Log In

GunAuction.com is best seen using Google Chrome or Microsoft IE9 with javascript enabled, and Adobe Flash installed.
Copyright 1997- 2014 AuctionArms.com, Inc., Orem UT -- All Rights Reserved.