Quantcast
GunAuction.com - VIETNAM VETERANS MEMORIES TREAD

Home | Register | Become a Seller | Sell a Gun | Help & Info
Search | Forum | Find a FFL | My Auctions | My Bids | Contact Us | Log In

(Forum Home)--->(Hunting Stories)--->(VIETNAM VETERANS MEMORIES TREAD)
Thread Admin: Hagrid (61-0-0) (Last 10 Posts) Posted: 10/26/2010 at 04:03:36
Total Posts: 132
Thread Title: "VIETNAM VETERANS MEMORIES TREAD"
Hagrid

I HAVE NOTICED THAT YOU OUTLAWS FROM THE 60'S AND 70'S THAT SERVED US PROUDLY DURING THE VIETNAM WAR HAVE JAWED ABOUT VARIOUS THINGS ON VARIOUS THREADS. HERE IS ONE OF YOUR OWN. I FORTUNATELY NEVER PULLED DUTY IN COUNTRY. YOU ALL HAVE MY RESPECT AND SINCERE THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE. TELL ALL THE STORIES YOU WISH, BRING BACK THE MEMORIES YOU WISH AND FORGET THOSE YOU DON'T.    TRAPPER

(Start a Thread) (Forum Rules)

Buyer: 5thcommjarhead(68-0-0) Post#1 - Posted: 10/26/2010 at 04:42:59
5thcommjarhead

Is there a statute of limitations on courts martial?   Tongue out

Buyer: Splittinhairs(18-0-0) Post#2 - Posted: 10/26/2010 at 05:35:07
Splittinhairs

I wanna hear the drug and sex stories!Tongue out

Seller: RobW(125-0-0) Post#3 - Posted: 10/26/2010 at 13:25:50
(no avatar)

We did too!

Former Seller: WALI(103-0-0) Post#4 - Posted: 10/26/2010 at 14:43:43
WALI

I had a buddy that did 1 tour in nam, and he was telling me about some kinda real cheap beer that you could only get at the "local beer joint"that had formaldehyde or some such chemical that you had to pour off the top of the beer before you drank it. Was he just blowing smoke up my exit or is anything about it true? WALI...................

Buyer: JohnT007(44-0-0) Post#5 - Posted: 10/26/2010 at 15:30:07
(no avatar)

We'd go to the PX and they would have Blatz and Blue Ribbon.....go into town (HUE) and they had Bud, Miller, Crown Royal, you name it.....look at the bottom of the bottle and there would be a very small hole drilled in it and sealed with wax. Just like coke they had "cut it." Now they did have something if I recall that was hell on wheels and would knock your socks off.....Baht I think. JohnT

Seller: Elitist(145-0-0) Post#6 - Posted: 10/26/2010 at 17:17:40
Elitist

The beer we normally got was "33," a French brand that was made locally.  The Vietnamese (and everyone else) called it "BahMeeBah," from the VN word for the number "33," which was "ba muoi ba."  It was reasonably awful stuff but it was cheap.  I don't think they bothered diluting it.  I've had it since, in France, and it wasn't much better there, so I doubt the VN did anything to it.  I can't really recall drinking any other kind of beer, though no doubt there were other American brands around.

We all had ration cards that allowed us to buy a certain amount of liquor and cigarettes per month.  The allowance wasn't much, but one of the things on the ration card was a bottle of "brandy."  Nobody I ever met there--no American, that is--drank brandy, but they always bought it.  It was more or less tantamount to cash.  The PX in Cholon sold a very good grade of the stuff (I think Remy Martin or Martell, very pricey) that wasn't very expensive in dollars but cost the earth in Vietnamese currency.  You could swap a bottle of it for almost anything on the black market.  It ended up going to the "name" hotels in Saigon (the Caravelle, and one or two others) where the newspaper reporters hung out, and bought it at a huge markup as they wrote their "field reports."

Buyer: JohnT007(44-0-0) Post#7 - Posted: 10/27/2010 at 04:25:42
(no avatar)

.....that was it.... Mad-dawg 33......JohnT

Buyer: 5thcommjarhead(68-0-0) Post#8 - Posted: 10/27/2010 at 04:45:40
5thcommjarhead

Once in awhile my brother and I will go to a Vietnamese restaurant near his office for lunch and wash down the nuoc nam with a couple of bottles of "33".  It's not the worst beer I've ever had.  That dubious "honor" goes to Crown, a Korean beer.  It's rumored that somebody sent some off to have it analyzed and the report came back that his water buffalo had a kidney problem.  It's no wonder those ROK Marines were so mean.  If that's all I had for beer, I'd be mean, too.   

Seller: RobW(125-0-0) Post#9 - Posted: 10/27/2010 at 22:22:30
(no avatar)

I stopped at a VN restaurant in the States some years ago. Properly made Nuoc Mam can be very good! (The poorly made variety can be used as a weapon of mass destruction.)

Former Seller: truncatedcone(25-0-0) Post#10 - Posted: 10/29/2010 at 19:13:49
truncatedcone

How do you properly make fermented fish in a barrel?

(Next 10 Posts)   (Ending)

Home | Register | Become a Seller | Sell a Gun | Help & Info
Search | Forum | Find a FFL | My Auctions | My Bids | Contact Us | Log In

GunAuction.com is best seen using Google Chrome or Microsoft IE9 with javascript enabled, and Adobe Flash installed.
Copyright 1997- 2014 AuctionArms.com, Inc., Orem UT -- All Rights Reserved.