Quantcast
GunAuction.com - FLINTLOCK BUCK ON WWW.NRVOUTDOORS.COM!

Home | Register | Become a Seller | Sell a Gun | Help & Info
Search | Forum | Find a FFL | My Auctions | My Bids | Contact Us | Log In

(Forum Home)--->(Hunting Stories)--->(FLINTLOCK BUCK ON WWW.NRVOUTDOORS.COM!)
Thread Admin: Elitist (112-0-0) (Last 10 Posts) Posted: 11/12/2008 at 06:50:46
Total Posts: 7
Thread Title: "FLINTLOCK BUCK ON WWW.NRVOUTDOORS.COM!"
Elitist Just updated my Season Log, with the tale of my first kill with a flintlock rifle, on Monday of this week. Read about it now at The New River Valley Outdoorsman!
(Start a Thread) (Forum Rules)

Former Seller: quackilla(11-0-0) Post#1 - Posted: 11/12/2008 at 08:29:47
quackilla Elitist, Wow great story I have enjoyed the NRV for almost 2 years now great article. I love the step back in time with the 32 Rim fire and the 54 renagade I love all guns but it is special to take any game with vintage means. Thanks Quack PS could you e-mail Rattler or AIC can give you my address

Thread Admin: Elitist(112-0-0) Post#2 - Posted: 11/12/2008 at 12:48:08
Elitist Quack, you can contact me directly through the site, there's a link on the opening page "About This Site," and then I'll have you in my address book. Glad you liked the story. I have to decide what to use on Opening Day this Saturday for rifle season, and I'm debating whether to take me Model 1878 Vetterli (see "A Wallflower No More") or my .577 Snider carbine, or the .72 caliber muzzle-loading double rifle. Decisions, decisions....so many guns, so little time.

Former Seller: quackilla(11-0-0) Post#3 - Posted: 11/12/2008 at 14:51:46
quackilla I would think the Snider would take care of anything you come across Quack

Former Seller: Witnessguy(25-0-0) Post#4 - Posted: 11/12/2008 at 15:29:27
(no avatar) Elitist! Another vetterli lover? Who did the centerfire conversion on yours? I've got two and think pretty highly of them. My dad and I did the conversion on both. Use cases made from 348 win brass. Glad to see someone else is shooting and hunting with these fabulous rifles too. Wguy

Former Seller: Witnessguy(25-0-0) Post#5 - Posted: 11/12/2008 at 15:38:19
(no avatar) Well now that I took the time to read the article, my questions are answered. Good read, and glad I'm not the only one who cant stand a gun that cant be shot! Wguy

Thread Admin: Elitist(112-0-0) Post#6 - Posted: 11/12/2008 at 19:16:19
Elitist Witnessguy, the man who converted my Vetterli is now retired, but any decent smith can make the conversion, and it's reversible if he does it with a two-piece firing pin...not that there is any point in reversing it, even if the .41 Rimfire is ever made again there's not much point in shooting it up.

These guns are well worth converting, I'm surprised more people don't do it. There are plenty of Vetterlis around. I had one of the Sears conversions that I bought for all of $75 at a gun show and had it done; I never got a chance to use it much because someone here on AA bouht from me for more than $500 and I couldn't say no! If I ever find another one I'll keep it.

The Snider is a Canadian Cadet carbine, with a barrel dated 1866 and a lock dated 1861. The front and rear sights are crude replacements, but it's a cannon, all right. One of these days...

I decided to use the .72 double. I bought this rifle because I want to hunt Africa again and a double rifle is THE African Hunting Weapon...a 12 bore isn't big enough for dangerous game (though it could probably do a buffalo) even if I could afford an elephant, but it will do the Dance of Death on wildebeest, my favorite ungulate species. Until then, however, it will serve on our whitetails.

A word of advice: if you ever hunt in Africa, you will be spoiled for hunting anywhere else.

Former Seller: quackilla(11-0-0) Post#7 - Posted: 11/12/2008 at 19:47:17
quackilla Africa is my dream, I read a book years ago by a guy named Hunter he was a warden in Africa and told stories of hunting problem animals it was a great book I may have to dig it out and read it again. Quack

GunAuction.com Forum

Before posting, make sure you understand the Forum Rules. Those violating our Forum Rules will be removed. The Thread Admin is in charge of policing this thread and making sure posts conform to our policies.

In order to post in the GunAuction.com Forums, you must be a registered user of GunAuction.com. You can become as registered user by visiting our Registration Page.

In order to start a thread, you must either be a Seller or a Paid Bidder OR have at least three Positive feedbacks. We find that having some skin in the game keeps the abuse potential down. If you've got some 'skin in the game' and you would like to start your own thread, you may do so by visiting our Start A Thread form.

You may use HTML to spruce up your post, if you are so inclined. Do not post an advertisement for your services OR a website OR an auction. Violators will be shot! just kidding.... Seriously, this is a discussion forum - not a SPAM fest. Keep it clean.

Please login to post in this thread...

Home | Register | Become a Seller | Sell a Gun | Help & Info
Search | Forum | Find a FFL | My Auctions | My Bids | Contact Us | Log In

GunAuction.com is best seen using Google Chrome or Microsoft IE9 with javascript enabled, and Adobe Flash installed.
Copyright 1997- 2014 AuctionArms.com, Inc., Orem UT -- All Rights Reserved.