Quantcast
GunAuction.com - Winchester '94 function question? Loading issue?

Home | Register | Become a Seller | Sell a Gun | Help & Info
Search | Forum | Find a FFL | My Auctions | My Bids | Contact Us | Log In

(Forum Home)--->(GunTalk)--->(Winchester '94 function question? Loading issue?)
Thread Admin: brainaxe (4-0-0) (Last 10 Posts) Posted: 06/16/2008 at 08:23:41
Total Posts: 13
Thread Title: "Winchester '94 function question? Loading issue?"
brainaxe If I load a cartridge fully past the loading gate into the magazine tube, the cartridge extends back under the loading gate, blocking the gate from being depressed down to allow a second cartridge to be loaded. I can only load successfully by leaving the first cartridge partially out, holding the gate down like a door stop. Then, I must use the next cartridge to push the first in. Once loaded, the gun will cycle fine. But I can't reload until all the rounds have been used. Something tells me this is not the way it should operate. Can anyone tell me if there is a 'spring' or 'stop' that may be worn or broken? Or what part may be at fault? (if there is a fault) The rifle was made in 1952. And is in great shape otherwise. Any thoughts?
(Start a Thread) (Forum Rules)

Seller: Hangfire(42-1-0) Post#1 - Posted: 06/16/2008 at 10:41:07
(no avatar) brainaxe; I have found that to be typical on the 94 Winchesters. The loading gate is shaped to where when depressed it should scoot the loaded case a little forward so the gate will open but on some it seems the lifter cut out may be a little farther back or the loading gate may be a bit worn on the backside and is not pushing the case when depressed. The way you are loading it is normal and as you fire more rounds from the magazine the less spring tension you have on the case to be lifted and the easier it should be to open the loading gate. Good luck

Thread Admin: brainaxe(4-0-0) Post#2 - Posted: 06/16/2008 at 11:38:15
brainaxe Thanks, Hangfire, so this is fairly typical? I won't start ripping it apart? I don't know if I could put it back together! So I am relieved to hear your take on it. I just hope when the "INJUNS" attack I can load quick! and as soon as the magazine is empty!! Thanks again.

Seller: tomon(52-0-0) Post#3 - Posted: 06/16/2008 at 14:40:15
tomon Would polishing the back of the loading gate assist the function?

Former Seller: Gun nut Bob(63-0-0) Post#4 - Posted: 06/16/2008 at 14:47:10
(no avatar) Brainaxe; There is something wrong with your 94 Winchester. Once a cartridge is inserted in the magazine, it is suppose to be held forward so that the loading gate can be depressed until the lever opens the bolt where the cartridge cames all the way back into the carrier. When the cartridge is put in the chamber, then the next cartridge is held forward to where the loading gate can be opened and another cartridge put in the magazine.

I have even taken cartridges out of several 94 Winchesters through the loading gate without jacking them through the action. Once you get the loading gate open the cartridges come out rather easily. My cuz once put a 7mmx 57mm in his 94 Winchester. That had to come back out through the loading gate. It was to long to get out any other way.

I just put a cartridge in my 30/30 94 Winchester and opened the bolt without letting the carrier come up. Then close it and removed the cartridge through the loading gate. So off the top of my head I would say your 94 Winchester has problems that require a competent gun smith

Former Seller: PO8(129-0-0) Post#5 - Posted: 06/16/2008 at 17:00:01
(no avatar) GNB is correct here......and he is not giving off second hand smoke...

Seller: Hangfire(42-1-0) Post#6 - Posted: 06/16/2008 at 19:32:48
(no avatar) Don't quite get the second hand smoke comment? But if you have ever had a 94 Winchester apart and looked at the loading gate you will notice it has a rib on the backside of it. As I recall it works like a shell stop. If it gets worn back I guess it would allow the cartridge to move back far enough to bridge the gap and not allow the gate to open. I have seen many that if loaded with a full magazine would do the same thing but would work with only a couple rounds in the mag, as there would be less spring tension on the follower. But you do as you wish, if the problem becomes a big issue you might want to replace the loading gate. Unlike some I don't design rockets only speak from hands on experience. .02

Former Seller: Kan Do Arms(70-0-0) Post#7 - Posted: 06/17/2008 at 12:59:39
(no avatar) yep i have had a few win 94's that had the same problem but they got gone to someone else before i could get the problem fixed, the new owner said it was alright with them.

Former Seller: Witnessguy(20-0-0) Post#8 - Posted: 06/17/2008 at 19:31:06
(no avatar) Brainaxe, the cartidge cutoff is separate from the loading gate. The loading gate itself is a spring, secured by one screw on the right hand side of the receiver. Sometimes these will become weak or loose, and cause loading problems, but your most likely culprit is a worn cartridge stop which is just in front of the mag tube in the reciever which you can see whith the action open. If it continues to malfunction, either can be easily fixed, with minor expense. Kurt

Former Seller: Witnessguy(20-0-0) Post#9 - Posted: 06/17/2008 at 19:35:22
(no avatar) Complete brain fart,,,,, Sometimes they are just hard to push down too brain axe. Everyone I have the cartidge, extends back a little, but when you push down on the gate, it serves to push the cartidge back forward enough to insert the next one. Whatever the case, you don't have a major problem. Loading gate, cartridge stop, or just buffing and smoothing the back of the gate, its easily fixed without breaking the bank. Kurt

Thread Admin: brainaxe(4-0-0) Post#10 - Posted: 06/18/2008 at 07:43:38
brainaxe GNB,Witnessguy,KDA,P08 are right. It's not a matter of too much spring compression as in a full mag. It happends on the second round. It's that cartridge stop that must be the culprit. The gate is not hard to push down at all on the first round,it's simply being blocked by the round in the mag that has been allowed to creep back under the gate! Well thanks for all the input and you guys nailed it. But not to take anything away from what Hangfire said, I was able, with alittle extra "Umpff" to push the gate down and it did pinch the first round foward to load a second round. But the force required got to be too much for the 4th or 5th round. I got a pretty good deal on the gun so putting a few bucks into it is no biggy. Thanks again for the help.

(Next 10 Posts)   (Ending)

Home | Register | Become a Seller | Sell a Gun | Help & Info
Search | Forum | Find a FFL | My Auctions | My Bids | Contact Us | Log In

GunAuction.com is best seen using Google Chrome or Microsoft IE9 with javascript enabled, and Adobe Flash installed.
Copyright 1997- 2014 AuctionArms.com, Inc., Orem UT -- All Rights Reserved.