Quantcast
GunAuction.com - ER Shaw - Feedback requested

Home | Register | Become a Seller | Sell a Gun | Help & Info
Search | Forum | Find a FFL | My Auctions | My Bids | Contact Us | Log In

(Forum Home)--->(GunTalk)--->(ER Shaw - Feedback requested)
Thread Admin: darmyman (50-0-0) (Last 10 Posts) Posted: 12/04/2007 at 07:13:35
Total Posts: 10
Thread Title: "ER Shaw - Feedback requested"
(no avatar) I am looking for feedback on the work done by Shaw. I have 4 projects I want built in the next year and contacted Shaw who can do them. In fact, their customer service was incredible in responding to my questions. Does anyone know about the quality of the work they do? My projects include rebarreling and tuning that actions of the following:

Arisaka 7.7 to 358 Win - new barrel and Tuned action - lap the bolt lugs, true the bolt face, true the receiver face and supply and install a Timney trigger.

German 98 rebarrelled by Israel to 308 - new 308 barrel and tuned action - lap the bolt lugs, true the bolt face, true the receiver face and supply and install a Timney trigger.

Swede 6.5 - new barrel in 6.5 swede and tuned action - lap the bolt lugs, true the bolt face, true the receiver face and supply and install a Timney trigger.

Spanish Mauser - new barrel in 7 mm Mauser and tuned action - lap the bolt lugs, true the bolt face, true the receiver face and supply and install a Timney trigger.

Is Shaw good or are there other options?. I also need a stock for the Arisaka which I've found to be difficult to find.

(Start a Thread) (Forum Rules)

Seller: Hagrid(13-0-0) Post#1 - Posted: 12/04/2007 at 09:33:16
Hagrid I have had considerable work done by Shaw.They rebarreled and tuned a 03 Springfield from 30-06 to 35 whelen. Great job, fast turn around. Rifle shot one hole groups with 250s. Did a mod 98 job from a 8x57 to a 300 win mag. Had them do all on that one. great blue job, excellant accuracy, opened bolt face, head spaced and test fired.Plus they are one of the cheapest on the market. My Two Cents trapper

Thread Admin: darmyman(50-0-0) Post#2 - Posted: 12/04/2007 at 11:34:01
(no avatar) Thanks trapper

Seller: tomon(42-0-0) Post#3 - Posted: 12/04/2007 at 17:44:38
tomon I can drive there in about 15 minutes max to check on your orders. I've had their barrel man do some work for me and I was very happy! He's a member of my Sportsmens club.

Seller: Hagrid(13-0-0) Post#4 - Posted: 12/04/2007 at 18:43:43
Hagrid tomon, excellant company to do business with. Their customer service is second to none and they do quality work.

Former Seller: drilem(61-0-0) Post#5 - Posted: 12/04/2007 at 19:55:22
(no avatar) I HAVE PURCHASED SEVERAL BARRELS FROM THEM AND HAVE HAD WORK DONE WHEN I'VE BEEN TOO BUSY TO COMPLETE. ALWAYS SATISFIED.

Former Seller: OLD RATTLER(157-0-0) Post#6 - Posted: 12/05/2007 at 03:19:02
(no avatar) AIC can do anything you want done and is one of our own , here at Auction Arms.

Thread Admin: darmyman(50-0-0) Post#7 - Posted: 12/05/2007 at 09:17:10
(no avatar) Thanks for all the comments. I'm going to send the Arisaka off to Shaw after Christmas to try them. I'll contact AIC and try him on the Swede. Lord know's, I've got enough projects to outfit the wife and kids. The Arisaka's mine, the 98 is my wifes and the Swede and Spanish are for two of the kids. Now each will have their own and my other guns will actually be mine now.

Tomon. I finally got around to shooting the South Africian 223 I bought from you some time ago and it's very good ammo.

Former Seller: Gun nut Bob(63-0-0) Post#8 - Posted: 12/06/2007 at 15:06:35
(no avatar) darmyman: It sounds to me like you are spending a bundle to rebuild old military rifles that would buy several regular commercial sporters and they still will not be drilled and modified to mount reciever sights or scopes. That Arisaka while being the very best bolt action combat rifle ever built has to many drawbacks as a rifle to convert.

The reason you are having trouble finding a stock for the Arisaka is that most people agree with me and do not want to spend the money on one.

I have converted a lot of military rifles to sporters, including some 99 Arisakas and I never found one to be even close to the 742 Remingtons that I have owned.

If you want to stay with a bolt action Remington, Savage and Winchester all build fine bolt action rifles that are vastly superior to any converted war rifle.

In the most part these old military rifles end up being heavier then the commercial counterparts. They require extensive modification to even approach being a satisfactory sporting rifle.

It is your money and we still have the privilage of spending or wasting it any way we choose. But military rifle to have any value have to be pretty much as manufactured. A well maintained commercial sporter retains 60% to 75% of the market purchase price no matter how much that price goes up. Look at what converted military actually sell for on Auction Arms. They ask big prices for them, but they don't sell for much over $150.00.

Buyer: 5thcommjarhead(42-0-0) Post#9 - Posted: 12/06/2007 at 15:49:23
5thcommjarhead GNB is having one of his lucid moments. Any serious collector of military rifles wouldn't give you two cents for anything sporterized but would be willing to pay a premium for something he wants as long as it is original. Sell whatever you have that's in original military configuration and you can buy yourself a genuine sporting rifle with the proceeds.

Thread Admin: darmyman(50-0-0) Post#10 - Posted: 12/07/2007 at 06:59:51
(no avatar) Thanks GNB and 5th. I understand your point.

I started my gun collecting years ago by purchasing battle rifles and handguns from the Civil War era and working forward. Once I got to the 1890's I found and purchased unaltered Mausers and also came across the ones mentioned in my thread which have all been "sporterized" or ruined for any real collector value. Hence my wanting to see what I can build from them. The guns I mentioned above were purchased with no specific need in mind other than I wanted them at the time as they had been altered allowing me to buy them cheap - less than 100.00 each.

I have two Arisaka's, a flag and a sword that my Grandfather brought back from Okinawa. These I would not part with or touch due to the sentimental value. The Arisaka mentioned above was bought for 40.00 at a gun show 20 years ago as the action was very tight but some bubba had added a very bad homemade stock to it. I have plenty of modern guns including my latest purchases of a Remington 750 in 35 Whelen and Winchester 70 last year in 300 Win Mag. So this is more a matter of a lets have some fun and see what can be built from them.

GunAuction.com Forum

Before posting, make sure you understand the Forum Rules. Those violating our Forum Rules will be removed. The Thread Admin is in charge of policing this thread and making sure posts conform to our policies.

In order to post in the GunAuction.com Forums, you must be a registered user of GunAuction.com. You can become as registered user by visiting our Registration Page.

In order to start a thread, you must either be a Seller or a Paid Bidder OR have at least three Positive feedbacks. We find that having some skin in the game keeps the abuse potential down. If you've got some 'skin in the game' and you would like to start your own thread, you may do so by visiting our Start A Thread form.

You may use HTML to spruce up your post, if you are so inclined. Do not post an advertisement for your services OR a website OR an auction. Violators will be shot! just kidding.... Seriously, this is a discussion forum - not a SPAM fest. Keep it clean.

Please login to post in this thread...

Home | Register | Become a Seller | Sell a Gun | Help & Info
Search | Forum | Find a FFL | My Auctions | My Bids | Contact Us | Log In

GunAuction.com is best seen using Google Chrome or Microsoft IE9 with javascript enabled, and Adobe Flash installed.
Copyright 1997- 2014 AuctionArms.com, Inc., Orem UT -- All Rights Reserved.