Quantcast
GunAuction.com - .280 ackley improved vs. 7mm rem. mag.

Home | Register | Become a Seller | Sell a Gun | Help & Info
Search | Forum | Find a FFL | My Auctions | My Bids | Contact Us | Log In

(Forum Home)--->(GunTalk)--->(.280 ackley improved vs. 7mm rem. mag.)
Thread Admin: hardwoodtimber (16-0-0) (Last 10 Posts) Posted: 02/22/2007 at 14:29:34
Total Posts: 12
Thread Title: ".280 ackley improved vs. 7mm rem. mag."
(no avatar) I have a chance to get a remington 700 LSS in a .280 ackley improved caliber. How does this cartridge compare to the 7mm remington magnum, or does it?
(Start a Thread) (Forum Rules)

Former Seller: Joes Custom Guns(237-1-1) Post#1 - Posted: 02/22/2007 at 14:41:42
(no avatar) OK if you are a handloader

If not then let it alone

Former Seller: eastbank(21-0-0) Post#2 - Posted: 02/22/2007 at 16:37:37
(no avatar) if it,s a ackley improved you can shoot regular 280,s in it with no harm, in fact it will fire form the cases. it will not be a 7mm mag. but it will sneak up on it. i think it may be one of ackley,s better improved cases. eastbank.

Buyer: AGT(44-1-0) Post#3 - Posted: 03/01/2007 at 19:09:41
(no avatar) I have owned the .280 Rem., the .280 Ack. Imp. and the 7mm Rem. Mag, all with barrels between 27-28" long, primarily for long range shooting. I found that the .280 Ack. was just about 1/2 way between the standard .280 and the 7 Mag., when loaded with the best powders for each, with similar pressure signs. I was only able to achieve 7 Mag. velocites with the .280 Ack. when loaded so hot the primers would sometimes fall out when ejected because the primer pockets were expanded so much.

Former Seller: eastbank(21-0-0) Post#4 - Posted: 03/02/2007 at 02:50:38
(no avatar) i agree, there is no subitute for horse power, the smaller cases may be more efficient and require less powder for a certain volicty. however the bigger case with the right powder will win out in the end. you just have to decide how light you want your rifle and recoil to be and what animals you are hunting. a good shot with a light rifle may kill just about and animal, but if.s one that can kill you i would use the biggest i could handle. eastbank.

Former Seller: CIMARRON(48-0-0) Post#5 - Posted: 03/19/2007 at 04:27:40
(no avatar) Correct on the halfway between. Three other things to think about, the 280 is going to have to have the same barrel length as the 7mag to get close ,so there goes the light weight thing out the window, then the 280 will hold one more rd in the magazine than the 7mag, a plus for the 280, if you realy need that many,then the worst thing of all, the 7mag feeds good out of just about any action, whereas the 280 imp doesn.t feed very good out of any action. The worst being the m98. Nothing more fun than a control rd feed action that has to feed from the magazine only that chokes and pukes on everything it tries to feed on.

Former Seller: CIMARRON(48-0-0) Post#6 - Posted: 03/19/2007 at 04:41:52
(no avatar) One thing that is a topic of conversation in some western states is minium requirements for Elk, not deer but for Elk hunting. 180gr bullet @ 2700 fps. That would eliminate a bunch of rifles. It seems that some hunters have rifles that make a lot of noise, kick hard and when they take a 2 or 3 hundred yard shot and the Elk doesn't hit the ground cold dead, they figure they missed and don't bother going over to look and the Elk runs off and dies latter and is waisted. 30-06 will make it, but a lot of guns will not, including the 7mag or the 280imp.

Seller: argentine(47-0-0) Post#7 - Posted: 03/19/2007 at 06:37:53
argentine A little consdiered issue is whether you plan to hunt outside of the US. Some, but not all countries customs folks are restricting the hunter to "factory ammunition" and eschewing reloads. I ran into this last year in Canada. It is not universal but should be something to consider if you are planning to hunt with the rifle abroad.

Former Seller: Joes Custom Guns(251-1-1) Post#8 - Posted: 03/19/2007 at 07:10:04
(no avatar) The way to solve feed problins is hunt with an T/C Encore,It will make a better hunter out of you

Who needs more then one shot

Besides you can have many cal. barrels

Seller: Hagrid(5-0-0) Post#9 - Posted: 03/19/2007 at 08:00:02
Hagrid It is off the thread but come on Cimarron, you can't tell me a 7 Rem mag,shooting 175gr partition bulet with 67gr reloader 22 clocking almost 3 grand isn't elk medicine. Hell, I've shot caribou and moose with the mag and it was more than up to the task. MY TWO CENTS Trapper

Former Seller: CIMARRON(48-0-0) Post#10 - Posted: 03/19/2007 at 08:19:40
(no avatar) CYRO, you hit the nail on the head. when I was a kid I was deer hunting with the 25-35 and this big heard of deer came running by about 80 or 100 yds heading north,I saw them comming and got me a good place to shoot from. I emptied that old gun out on them and never hit a one. When I got back to the ranch my grand dad walked up to me and said You didn't get one did you? I said no. He said one shot, most likely got a deer, two shots, maybe got a deer, three shots, no deer. He then said that he had counted six and walked off, wouldn't talk to me the rest of the day.A few days later I walked up there again, I took two rds with me, I put one rd in the chamber and one in my pocket, after a little while, with the wind in my face and moving as quiet as I could, i came upon some deer about 55 or so yds away. I had the buck fever so bad I thought I was going to die. I wacked biggest one in the bunch and down he went, got back up went about a block and layed down to rest, when I got to him, he was to sick to get up and I shot him in the head with my second rd.I don't think that 25-35 ever killed anything with one shot. I think my grandad was happier than I was. I was 14 then and never liked the 25-35 since.I think they outlawed it about that time. Now in colorado, the last I heard if you hunt deer with one, you have to have a licensed hand loader load your ammo and check it for speed in your gun you are using.

(Next 10 Posts)   (Ending)

Home | Register | Become a Seller | Sell a Gun | Help & Info
Search | Forum | Find a FFL | My Auctions | My Bids | Contact Us | Log In

GunAuction.com is best seen using Google Chrome or Microsoft IE9 with javascript enabled, and Adobe Flash installed.
Copyright 1997- 2014 AuctionArms.com, Inc., Orem UT -- All Rights Reserved.