Quantcast
GunAuction.com - Is the new 1 H Tropical Ruger, chambered in .400 Jeffery on the market. When?

Home | Register | Become a Seller | Sell a Gun | Help & Info
Search | Forum | Find a FFL | My Auctions | My Bids | Contact Us | Log In

(Forum Home)--->(Hunting Stories)--->(Is the new 1 H Tropical Ruger, chambered in .400 Jeffery on the market. When?)
Thread Admin: GMT (12-0-0) (Last 10 Posts) Posted: 11/16/2006 at 11:00:05
Total Posts: 9
Thread Title: "Is the new 1 H Tropical Ruger, chambered in .400 Jeffery on the market. When?"
GMT Horday is making ammo in that caliber, It's not on the Ruger web site yet???????? It's said to be at lot tamer than 470 & 600 Nitro popular African big game loads. Love to have some info.
(Start a Thread) (Forum Rules)

Former Seller: Mars_308(26-0-0) Post#1 - Posted: 11/18/2006 at 14:55:47
(no avatar) GMT; Look up the chamber print on the 404jeff and the 405 winchester. After looking at those, look at 400 whelen, 400 nitro and 40-90 sharps straight.
Tell us what you see. ;o)

Thread Admin: GMT(12-0-0) Post#2 - Posted: 11/25/2006 at 10:26:21
GMT Mars_308

I had seriously considered the 405 winchester, however I am hunting with a P.H. that's world class and he want's me to shoot solids, and I went to every web site and couldn't find a solid for the 405 winchester. I have always felt well served, by listening to experienced hunters who have hunted on a higher level than I have, especially in Africa.

I am in the process of checking the other calibers you mentioned in post #1 out, and thanks for the tip.

Former Seller: Mars_308(26-0-0) Post#3 - Posted: 11/26/2006 at 19:12:56
(no avatar) gmt, the 404jeff is a real weirdo with bullet heads at .423 dia. 405 win with the .410 to 412 is not much better. A 416 rem. might be the answer. I have a 405 tropical #1 that shoots 400gr lead .410 dia very well but not what is needed for dangerous game.

Thread Admin: GMT(12-0-0) Post#4 - Posted: 11/27/2006 at 11:55:41
GMT Mars_308

Getting killed by a Buffalo, or a hippo in the Zambezi river in the Caprivi strip panhandle of Namibia would make a great story or generations to come, however, I am not ready to go and I am glad you have a Ruger IH 405 winchester for big game my next question do you think their is enough from between the strap that holds the sight and the end of the barrel on a Ruger 1H to thread a Magna port muzzel break without taking off the sight.

I am seriously considering the Ruger IH in 416 rigby caliber.

Former Seller: Mars_308(26-0-0) Post#5 - Posted: 11/27/2006 at 18:09:55
(no avatar) GMT; there is not enough room in front of the site for a thread on break. "magna-port" is a EDM burnt in break system in the barrel. You might consider that as a recoil reducer. A "past" pad would help the most. The Ruger is too light in weight for the big kicker ammo. It will cut your skin with light clothing. For big white rino a 470 nitro will make-em wink at you. There as big as a 3/4 ton dodge 4x4 and wanting to kick your aXX back to the USA. The wife and I saw them in a game reserve near bloomfontain SA. I would think about renting a big rifle over there. Less hastle and a lot less expense. Have lots of fun. see ya

Thread Admin: GMT(12-0-0) Post#6 - Posted: 11/29/2006 at 08:36:01
GMT Mars_308-

I was in Shamwari game reserve, near Uitenhage S.A. when we came upon a big White Rhino sleeping right near the road, A loonie tune guy offered the driver $100 to let him stand up near the Rhino and have his picture taken with the rigs 375 HH in his hand. Luckly for this wing nut the driver turned him down.

As you stated the Ruger 1H may be a little light, what do you think of the CZ 550 416 Rigby caliber. Why is the Rigby load so expensive, If I buy that gun I will be forced to load my own shells, Oh well old men need something to do.

All it will take is for some media star hunter like Graig Boddington to fall in love with the 416 Rigby and Federal, Winchester, and Remington will start mass producing it.

Former Seller: c3shooter(27-0-0) Post#7 - Posted: 11/29/2006 at 17:22:26
c3shooter I would most humbly state that to shoot anything the size of a truck that can kill me AND my truck, I would want a weapon that will STOP a truck. A Browning M-2 50 cal. FULL AUTO. And the BIG box of ammo! And that is only because I cannot carry a Hughes 25mm Chain Gun or a GAU-8 30mm Gatling Gun! An old tactics instructor once told me "If you ever find you are in a fair fight, your planning was faulty." Sorry- just the thought of shooting something that has its own zip code makes me a little uneasy. Best of luck, bro.

Thread Admin: GMT(12-0-0) Post#8 - Posted: 12/04/2006 at 11:28:52
GMT c3shooter-

Good choice, but sorry automatics are out, to get to most hunting destinations in Africa you have to go thru South Africa, or Dar es Salam, Tanzania they won't let a auto anything in.

Sept of 2007 I going to do a Cape Buffalos for sure, and maybe and Elephant [if I get lucky with a cheap depreviation hunt] Buffalos are dam hard to kill 416 Rigby is considered light by some Africans standards, breaking my shoulder with a 600 nitro is not my fondest wish, especially if you pull both triggers of a double like one Medical Doctor did.

Last year Safari times had a two piece article on an experienced professional hunter gal on her 13th buffalo hunt who got gored very badly when her saftey on a pre 64 Winchester 70 saftey jammed in the in between position,

I met this gal, a six feet striking beauty born in Africa Jan of 06 at the Safari Convention Reno. I told her I tried to reconstruct [at a range] what happened to her gun, she laughed and said 13 was a unlucky number 14 will be better. I also said Robert Ruark wrote a book "Use enough Gun." She laughed again and said: wasn't Ruark a New Yorker news paper guy. I responded yeh! but, he was one funnest writers ever, and with me it's all about entertainment, drink some Masai Pumba, [African green Beer], have fun and relax.

Former Seller: c3shooter(27-0-0) Post#9 - Posted: 12/05/2006 at 16:25:00
c3shooter GMT- careful, that might be my niece- BIL lives in South Africa. And if'n I can't have a full auto, then OK- I can make do with a 105 Howitzer. If I can't get a 155!

GunAuction.com Forum

Before posting, make sure you understand the Forum Rules. Those violating our Forum Rules will be removed. The Thread Admin is in charge of policing this thread and making sure posts conform to our policies.

In order to post in the GunAuction.com Forums, you must be a registered user of GunAuction.com. You can become as registered user by visiting our Registration Page.

In order to start a thread, you must either be a Seller or a Paid Bidder OR have at least three Positive feedbacks. We find that having some skin in the game keeps the abuse potential down. If you've got some 'skin in the game' and you would like to start your own thread, you may do so by visiting our Start A Thread form.

You may use HTML to spruce up your post, if you are so inclined. Do not post an advertisement for your services OR a website OR an auction. Violators will be shot! just kidding.... Seriously, this is a discussion forum - not a SPAM fest. Keep it clean.

Please login to post in this thread...

Home | Register | Become a Seller | Sell a Gun | Help & Info
Search | Forum | Find a FFL | My Auctions | My Bids | Contact Us | Log In

GunAuction.com is best seen using Google Chrome or Microsoft IE9 with javascript enabled, and Adobe Flash installed.
Copyright 1997- 2014 AuctionArms.com, Inc., Orem UT -- All Rights Reserved.