Quantcast
GunAuction.com - Question on ESSEX 45

Home | Register | Become a Seller | Sell a Gun | Help & Info
Search | Forum | Find a FFL | My Auctions | My Bids | Contact Us | Log In

(Forum Home)--->(GunTalk)--->(Question on ESSEX 45)
Thread Admin: darmyman (39-0-0) (Last 10 Posts) Posted: 03/30/2006 at 05:22:34
Total Posts: 6
Thread Title: "Question on ESSEX 45"
(no avatar) Can anyone tell me about Essex 45's. Good reputation, bad etc? I've never heard of them.
(Start a Thread) (Forum Rules)

Former Seller: burton(4-1-0) Post#1 - Posted: 03/30/2006 at 07:24:18
(no avatar) Essex Arms Corp. of Island Pond Vermont was one of the first manufacturers of after market frames and slides, circa early 1970's. They mostly provided their products to third party manufacturers who produced and sold completed pistols under their trade names. I don't know for a fact that Essex produced and sold pistols under their own name. Years back Essex frames were commonly seen on home built/custom pistols of VERY VARYING quality. If you have a opportunity to buy a pistol with a Essex marked frame, be sure and test fire it and wring it out very well to make sure the workmanship and quality meet your standards.

Former Seller: axolotl(45-0-0) Post#2 - Posted: 03/30/2006 at 08:16:51
axolotl Jim Clark built most of his custom pistols on Essex frames. I don`t know how much he had to work them to be usable, but obviously the steel was good as he had a lot of choices and he picked essex. axolotl

Seller: jake1(33-0-0) Post#3 - Posted: 03/30/2006 at 08:27:02
(no avatar) I have used Essex frames for about 10 years now to build 45's and 38 Supers (25+)for customers and I have never had a problem with any of their frames. In fact I have a personal frame that I have been using regularly for about the same length of time and am still very pleased with it. I recently started using the "enhanced" frames (listed in Brownells)and have been really pleased with the units. Every one of the enhanced frames has "speced" out exactly on the button with my National Match frame and the specification drawings I got while in the military. I have had zero complaints from my shooters. Just my two cents worth from an old 45 shooter/gunsmith. I like 'em. Jake

Buyer: bigsil(2-0-0) Post#4 - Posted: 05/07/2006 at 05:26:03
(no avatar) I have 2 essex 45's that I have built. One is just an essex frame with a no-name slide and the other is an essex frame and essex slide. both shoot well. the essex frame to slide fit is perfect with no shake at all, the other slide fit a little tight, and had to be fitted a little. I shoot them all the time,with my wilson combat and have no problem.In some cases, you might have to polish the feed ramp a bit to feed some ammo

Former Seller: eastbank(17-0-0) Post#5 - Posted: 05/07/2006 at 16:18:33
(no avatar) i found that on some frames the ejector pin holes were not drilled true, and were a pain in the a**, i shortened the legs on the ejectors and epoxeyed the ejectors in. other than that, just the normal time consuming fitting work.

Former Seller: CIMARRON(48-0-0) Post#6 - Posted: 05/07/2006 at 19:14:40
(no avatar) estbank- The last two I got from brownalls and they had the ejector, safety spring guide and grip screw escusions already installed.I think they are very good frames.The only better frames I have used are the ones from Caspian and they are made by Ruger. Caspian has a real cool deal, you can order a frame with about any serial number you want, even your mother in laws birthday if you want.I built one for a guy who had his sons initials and mounth, day and year of his birthday for a serial number. It was for his sons high school graduation gift. Pretty cool dad don't you think. My dad told me when I graduated from high school that I could start paying rent.

GunAuction.com Forum

Before posting, make sure you understand the Forum Rules. Those violating our Forum Rules will be removed. The Thread Admin is in charge of policing this thread and making sure posts conform to our policies.

In order to post in the GunAuction.com Forums, you must be a registered user of GunAuction.com. You can become as registered user by visiting our Registration Page.

In order to start a thread, you must either be a Seller or a Paid Bidder OR have at least three Positive feedbacks. We find that having some skin in the game keeps the abuse potential down. If you've got some 'skin in the game' and you would like to start your own thread, you may do so by visiting our Start A Thread form.

You may use HTML to spruce up your post, if you are so inclined. Do not post an advertisement for your services OR a website OR an auction. Violators will be shot! just kidding.... Seriously, this is a discussion forum - not a SPAM fest. Keep it clean.

Please login to post in this thread...

Home | Register | Become a Seller | Sell a Gun | Help & Info
Search | Forum | Find a FFL | My Auctions | My Bids | Contact Us | Log In

GunAuction.com is best seen using Google Chrome or Microsoft IE9 with javascript enabled, and Adobe Flash installed.
Copyright 1997- 2014 AuctionArms.com, Inc., Orem UT -- All Rights Reserved.